Crossroads

Title: Crossroads
Author: J.J. Bonds
Publisher: -
Release Date: November 2011
Pages: 310
How I got the book: Ebook


Summary
When Katia enrolled at Crossroads Academy she knew things weren’t exactly going to be easy. The sole heir to the worlds’ most powerful vampire, her presence was bound to cause a stir. But nothing could have prepared her for this. Whispers follow everywhere she goes. So does trouble.
Bodies start turning up in nearby Rutland and Katia is sucked into a twisted web of danger and deceit. Haunted by nightmares she can’t explain and a thirst for blood that is never sated, Katia will do whatever it takes to keep her past buried.
Nothing at Crossroads is what it seems and Katia’s secrets may be the darkest of them all
.


Stand alone or series: Series, this is the first part in the Crossroads Academy series. There is a second part as well, but I don’t know if that is the last one.

Why did I read this book: A friend of mine recommended it and gave it to me. I like vampire stories combined with an academy (like Vampire Academy) so I gave it a try.


Cover impressions: Not very original. Just some girl with a guy in the background. Though I did like the dark colors surrounding them and the font of the title. Looks cool ^^

Review

In the beginning I was a bit afraid that this was going to be another Vampire Academy rip-off. Vampire girl needing more training and falling for the hot but unattainable trainer. Thank God it wasn’t, because how mad was I when I read the first part of Covenant, Half-Blood ! She stole sooo much from the VA world, I could not understand how someone can write such a fake ! But back to Crossroads, I liked it. Yes she needed training from the hot trainer guy (who is Russian…) but she did not fell completely for him and kept her distance.
Because of that the story was not at all about their love life, but about her life and how she came to be.

It was a bit slow every now and then (it took me some time to finish it, I read a couple of chapters alternating days) but in the end it was like BAM! Everything came together at once.
Even though I was a bit annoyed by the pace of the book, I did like the building of the plot and how it was very mysterious. Their were a lot of questions about Katia’s background and she gave some hints along the way, but only in the last pages of the book she gave way.
And she still leaves a lot of questions open, which I presume will be answered in the next installment.
 
So Katia was cool, she had her head together and was grounded. She didn’t go a mushy over Nik (the love interest) and had her priorities straight. Even though I felt she should not keep every secret away from others, she had her reasons. Though I didn’t know them when reading so it got a bit frustrated, but now that I am finished it seems logical she behaved the way she did. I only missed some personality, she did have some, but I missed some more depth in her character. But know that we know all her dark secrets, maybe she will get more depth in the next one.

Nik was cute, even though I felt he should not have protected his friends so much. They were being mean girl and boy and he just let them. Showed him in the end when one betrayed Katia and all the others, but well.. Though I did not like that he got away with it ! Plus he way being a nasty bitch, so I felt he should have been killed ! Especially after he ran away from the battle he created.. but well, who knows, maybe he will die horribly in the next part ^^

So Nik, haha, he was not very special, he protected her later on and even put up with her moodiness most of the time, but I didn’t feel a lot for him. I’m not dreaming of wanting my own Nik, too bad but you can do better !
I liked her friend Shay, who turned out to be ill. She was cool and didn’t care about how others thought about her. Keegan was cute as well, and I hope we will learn more about them in the next one as well.
Aldo seemed like a big teddy bear and I hope we will find out more about their relationship in the next one also.
 
I liked the whole world that was created, with the Linkuri and The Council. They made a difference between “ born” vampires and the ones who were bitten, and added a vampire disease. I would like to know more about this also haha ^^

Rating
Even though I did like the book, it had some annoying parts in it and sometimes, even though she gave it an entire different spin from VA, it still felt like she used some out of its story. I prefer authors to be more original then that. I noticed writing the review that I said a lot of “ in the next part..” and that is true. Meanly, I’m looking forward to the next part in hope it will get better. It has the potential and mystery, but I missed some of the depth that I hope will return in the second one. So I would like to give this one 3.5 Freyja’s and hoping on more Freyja’s for the next installment ! 
 

Comments

Popular Posts