REVIEW Rebel Spring.

TITLE. Rebel Spring
AUTHOR. Morgan Rhodes
PUBLISHER. Razorbill
RELEASE DATE. December 3rd 2013
 
PAGES. 401
FORMAT. Paperback
GENRE. Fantasy, Young Adult

SUMMARY.
Auranos has been conquered and the three kingdoms—Auranos, Limeros, and Paelsia—are now unwillingly united as one country called Mytica. But alluring, dangerous magic still beckons, and with it the chance to rule not just Mytica, but the world. . . .

CLEO is now a prisoner in her own palace, forced to be an ambassador for Mytica as the evil King Gaius lies to her people MAGNUS stands to eventually inherit the new kingdom but is still obsessed with his feelings for his adopted sister, Lucia LUCIA is haunted by the deadly outcome of her breathtaking display of magic that allowed her father to capture the kingdoms JONAS watches at the palace gates, a troop of rebels behind him, waiting for him to tell them how he plans to overtake King Gaius When Gaius announces that a road is to be built into the Forbidden Mountains, formally linking all of Mytica together, he sets off a chain of cataclysmic events that will forever change the face of this land.

REVIEW.
So this is the second part in the Falling Kingdoms series, and I could not wait to get started on this one. The first book ended very thrilling and I had to grab the next book from my shelves right away.

Though I do have to admit that this part was less exciting than the first one, it was still very compelling and I enjoyed it very much.

What I found as one of the downsides to reading a lot of reviews about this series was the Game of Thrones comparisons. Yes it even says so on the front of the book, but to be honest I disagree with that this book is a rip-off, because it really isn’t in my opinion. Yes some things happen that has happened more or less in GoT, but so much has happened that it is hard not to have some resemblances. When you create a world full of different kingdoms and characters it is bound to have some likeliness, but apart from a lot of people dying it is based on its own story and does not follow the same path. But.. because it is mentioned a lot I start to compare, and that on itself is very annoying. A book should be rated on its own, not compared… So that’s how I will do it.

I really liked how the plot progressed, we get to know the main characters more and some twists happened that I did not see coming at all ! Some things were a bit more predictive.. But most of the time I was very surprised of the things that happened and it made me want to read more and more of this wonderful fantasy novel.

A lot of YA books lately follow some girl, who turns out to be, of course, some special snowflake.. and it is getting so incredibly annoying  !! But when a series like this one comes around, it is very refreshing to me. They make mistakes, people die. Hell, even some people that I would have expected to make it through the whole series get slaughtered.. But that is life. That is how it is supposed to be. Not some magical girl who saves the world all on her own, while being very whiny. But people rise up and take charge, even after failing and losing loved ones. I really appreciate that in this story.

And what I like even more is that I don’t know who Cleo is going to end up with, and.. even weirder.. I don’t know who I like more !! There seemed to be some developments  with both Jonas and Magnus.. Some hot scenes and kissing with both  of them,  but both of those guys deserve her in their own way.. and.. I don’t know !! I don’t have a team !! How horribly awesome is that ^^

I love how Cleo is developing from a rich, spoiled princess to a real woman. A woman who cares for her people and wants to get her revenge against the people who murdered her loved ones. She stays strong even when taken prisoner and in the company of those she hates most and she has become my favorite narrator in this series. I love how far she has come and what she is willing to do to get justice.  
Magnus has grown on me as well in this book, and Jonas stays a great guy. I can’t wait what is going to happen next ! Lucia was asleep for most of this book.. but I hope she’ll get a lot more action in the next book, so we get to know her better too. Because right now I don’t have much of an opinion about her and see her still more as a side character than one of the mains. But seeing as she is the most powerful of all of them she should get to play a bigger part in the future.

Morgan Rhodes has a very compelling way of writing that I really enjoy.  Her story is very action-packed and full of questions I hope to get the answers to in the next books !

FINAL THOUGHTS.
Ohh and the ending was so awesome, I can’t wait how that is going to develop in the next book ! Which I bought instantly together with the fourth book when I neared the ending of this one. Speaking of the next book, I just started it after trying to enjoy another book that really disappointed me.. (more about that in my next review) And I already love continuing this one !!
So I would like to give this book 4.5 Freyja’s. The only downside being that once I was in this story it did not hold the captive as much as the first one.. But we’ll see how that continues in the Gathering Darkness !

 



Comments

Popular Posts