Review My Lady Jane.




Title. My Lady Jane
Author. Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows
Publisher. HarperTeen
Release Date. June 7th 2016
Standalone/Series. Standalone
Pages. 416
Genre. Young Adult – History – Fantasy – Romance

What is it about.
Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown…

Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended…

Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an Eðian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified.

The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?

Review.
So this is quite a collection of authors ! I’ve read Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, but even though I’ve seen a lot (and own maybe one or two books by some of them) I haven’t read anything from the other authors. I want to.. But I haven’t gotten to it yet. Who knows, maybe in the near furture.

Still, when I saw this one on sale at Amazon I had to have it. I’ve seen a lot of positive reviews about it and I was very curious what the novel was actually about. Because you never know, I might like it ;)

Where to start? I liked almost everything about this book!

So much FUN silliness (is that a word?) It was just so much fun in a silly kind of way. I really like it when the writers know they are writing something silly and are not trying to hide it. There are some that act all serious like they’ve just written some masterpiece instead of ANOTHER generic YA/fantasy book. Just admit it is ridiculous and make fun of it instead ! Like this book.
And not only did they not take themselves too serious, but they also “intervened” a couple of times, to explain certain situations or warn us as an audience for things to come. I liked that, it kind of breaks the story, but in a good way.

The plot was very interesting, and even though it follows the main story line from history, it had a lot of unexpected turns ! So many secrets in and around court, not knowing who you can trust, I was hooked, and the plot kept me interested until the end.

I also loved well, all of the characters haha. This story was told from three POV’s. Lady Jane herself was a great person, way ahead of her time and just a very funny kind of girl. I loved how she always had a book in hand and read so many (informative) books that she knew all kinds of facts. Kind Edward himself was also totally cute and adorable. I really liked how he got more aware of things around him and realised he did not really rule the country before, and how he wanted to do better. He grew a lot. G was quite funny as well, and he kind of grew on me throughout the book. He needed to grow up, and in the end he really did.

I loved their romance, the build-up was great. Not much insta-love, but they got to know each other better and how they grew into not only accepting each other, but also falling in love. So romantic.
And not only their romance, but also the romance with a certain Boy king and Scottish girl was very entertaining!

And well, of course the whole Edian stuff is pretty awesome. People who change in all kinds of animals it just great !! And how some of them really suits their characters. I liked the twist they gave to this story and turn it into something magical with lots of humour.

I don’t know if I really can call it a “didn’t like”, because I kind of liked the entire book. But the only thing I can think of was that I found jane a bit annoying in the beginning. Just because you know a lot from books, doesn’t mean you’re better than others. Luckily she got of that high horse (HA) soon enough.

People who are not too strict on their history and like a laugh. I found this book hilarious and had a lot of fun reading it. It is light-hearted and ! Most importantly: it has a great happy ending that leaves you all happy and fluffy.


"No horse jokes," he said.
"My lord, I apologize for the horse joke. If you put down the book---unharmed!---I will give you a carrot."
He brandished the book at her. "Was that a horse joke?"
"Neigh."
"Was that a horse joke?” 

“Dearest Jane, Sorry I made you marry a horse. Your father-in-law is trying to kill me. Send help.

“I know I'm not inspiring much confidence at this point, but there's something else I thought I'd bring up.” She lifted her eyes to him. “I love you more than I love books.” 


Comments

Popular Posts